Can I deduct legal fees from a civil suit from my taxes.?

I am an attorney. A friend sued me over the transfer of property that occurred 12 years ago. They claimed that I gave them legal advice to add my name to their deed and instructed them that this is the same as a will. The reality is that they were paid for the interest in the home. I am not admitted to practice law in the state where the home is located. But they threatened to go to the Bar Association where I am admitted and file a complaint for fraud and misconduct. We had to go to trial. That was costly. I won. As a matter of law, they did not have to pay my attorney fees. So, can I deduct them.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers