Is it illegal or possible fraud?

My friend has been the only supporter of his family. When it came to filing his taxes, his wife had her father file the joint return. That’s all fine & legal but she then had the return direct deposited into an account that her husband, my friend, hasn’t any access to. Now they are going through a divorce and she claims that 2/3 should be hers since she is caring for the baby.

How can he report her if possible?

First, is it legal that she deposited into an account that he didn’t have access to? Would this be considered as a type of fraud? Second, TX is a community property state, she can’t actually withhold the money from him. Child support is considered separate after the separation.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers